Last week we had a series of speakers from the Film Sector. They covered a range of topics including:
- International TVC industry is gone due to boarders
- Loosing Crew to the North Island due to lack of productions
- Central Government has a huge amount of funding available for content creation.
- We need scripts and stories and help our creatives access this money.
- We need this plan, how do we create our own content to access that funding.
- Needing Experienced Writers, Producers, Directors
- Screen Strategy 2030 has been announced what place Canterbury/South Island
- Incentives to bring productions to Canterbury – what could they look like?
- Funding models
- Short film fund to support talent development
- Private investment
- Education and Training
- Infrastructure development
The speakers included:
Victoria Dabbs – International Line Producer / Producer for Long Format Features and TV Programmes
Martin Saragon – Director Drama Long format, Music Videos
Jackie Clark – Executive Producer Advertising Agency Producer Commercial Sector, Long Format
Amanda Jenkins – Line Producer / Producer International Advertising Commercial Sector and Short/Long format
Gerard Smyth – Documentary Film Maker
Their conversation was fascinating and they were appreciative of the city’s foresight in establishing Screen CanterburyNZ, and now argue that now is the time to take that a step further and partner on a focussed plan to realise the potential. They are planning to talk about this concept on Sept 30th at an Action Plan workshop organised by the city and industry partners.
I was attracted to something which Gerard Smyth spoke about telling our storytelling for New Zealanders.
Auckland has $1b spent each year on film production. Wellington is also huge. So, it was fantastic to hear Minister Poto Williams announce support for a number of sites in this City to assist potential film production. Here’s the link to that announcement https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122767372/film-studios-easier-to-set-up-in-christchurch-after-crown-uses-quake-recovery-powers-to-change-rules.
Watch it here